Welcome to the Parent Resource page! This page contains information about the Accelerated Reader program, online reading resources available to students at the Rio Vista Library, and links to local public libraries.
Information on Accelerated Reader
Develop lifelong readers and learners.
All learning starts with reading. It’s a skill and, as with every skill, it requires not just instruction but practice.
AR serves as the practice component of a comprehensive reading program by promoting personalized practice combined with data to monitor and manage that practice. With nearly 70,000 nonfiction titles, it’s easy to integrate content-area reading practice as well.
With AR, teachers and parents can:
- Motivate students for learning. Self-selected reading at students’ independent reading levels results in success, which spurs enthusiasm, higher attendance, fewer discipline problems, and better attitudes. Students will be motivated to read constantly.
- Receive reliable, objective information. The data cover reading comprehension of fiction and nonfiction reading, vocabulary development, literacy skills development, and more.
- Prepare students for college and career. Students engage in substantial amounts of reading practice and receive immediate feedback. As a result, scores improve on state tests and more students master standards—research proves it.
- Keep all students challenged. Students are guided to books where the level of difficulty is neither too hard nor too easy—the level at which optimal learning takes place.
Library Resources Online for Students
This is a list of resources that students can use when they visit the Rio Vista Library. Students can also access these resources from home. Information on these resources is included below, along with a link.
- Study Island
- Reading Eggs and Reading Eggspress
- Spelling City
Study Island is an instructional and diagnostic tool that enables teachers to help students master the state standards and prepare for their state tests.
The more time students spend using the Study Island program, the better they will understand the material for their respective grade level. Students can access Study Island from any computer that is connected to the Internet.
Starfall.com opened in September of 2002 as a free public service to teach children to read with phonics. Our systematic phonics approach, in conjunction with phonemic awareness practice, is perfect for preschool, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, special education, homeschool, and English language development (ELD, ELL, ESL). Starfall is an educational alternative to other entertainment choices for children.
Reading Eggs makes learning to read interesting and engaging for kids, with great online reading games and activities.
And it really works!
Children love the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
An award-winning game-based learning tool for vocabulary, spelling, writing and language arts.
Links to Additional Resources and Libraries